If you've purchased a domain from a registrar, you can add a custom domain to your Glitch project!
To add a custom domain:
- Within the Project Editor view, click on the 'Tools' menu located on the lower-left side of the page.
- Select 'Custom Domains'.
- Enter your custom domain URL (www.website.com) and click 'Add Domain'. You'll get a
preview.edgeapp.netURL in return, like
dzepryvvixf36q0k.preview.edgeapp.net. Copy this information.
- Now, go to your domain name registrar's website and create a CNAME entry using the copied URL. If you've misplaced the
preview.edgeapp.neturl you were provided, not to worry! You can use
glitch.edgeapp.netinstead - it's completely interchangeable with any
Note that visiting the preview.edgeapp.net URL itself in the browser will display 'Not Found' - it's not intended to be used directly, only as part of a CNAME.
To add a CNAME:
Here are documentation links for how to add a CNAME record with some popular domain name registrars:
Using an ANAME if your domain name registrar requires an IP address:
- If you want to use the "bare domain" you purchased for your custom domain (for example,
www.website.com) most registrars won't allow that because it would break the internet (see this article for a slightly geeky but pretty understandable explanation of why).
- In this case, it's possible your registrar supports a custom DNS record type like ALIAS or ANAME which will serve the same purpose.
- If not, and your registrar doesn't allow you to use a URL but instead needs an IP address, then you can get the IP address needed by pinging the
preview.edgeapp.netURL you were given. You can use a service like Ping.eu to do so. You should get an IP address similar to
126.96.36.199. You can then create an A record for it on your domain registrar's website.
- Here are documentation links for how to add an A record with some popular domain name registrars:
Here are some things to remember when using the custom domain tool in the Project Editor:
- After you have successfully added your custom domain and generated the preview.edgeapp.net url, this information will not show again in the custom domain tool. So, you may want to save this information in your notes locally.
- If you see the message "this custom domain is already registered", it means that the custom domain is already connected to a different Glitch project. If you need help figuring out what project that is, you can contact Glitch Support. We are happy to look it up for you!
- The information in this help article should be used in combination with the dns config instructions provided by your custom domain provider.
To remove a custom domain:
If you need to remove a custom domain from your project, or you have received a message stating that your custom domain is already in use, please contact us. We can help unlink custom domains from your projects so they can be reused.